The Magickal Universe

Where Magick is a way of life!

Forums

Forum Home > Terra Sphere Prospective Students and Congregation > Lesson 8 - The festivals

Kelly Bray
Site Owner

Blessings Students

Well by now you should have been meditating for some time, have a basic understanding of the terminology of the occult, know a bit about the various Paths and Traditions included within Paganism, have created your own ethical guidelines, know how to create some forms of magickal protection, be keeping your own Magickal records and have begun collecting or creating your own magickal tools.

Today's lesson is about Pagan Festivals and Sacred Days - this includes Sabbats,  and Esbats. Also included in this section is an understanding of Rites of Passage, which are important events in a Pagans life. Gender Mysteries are also Sacred Eevents to Pagans however they are generally limited to a particular gender, rather than a Coven

(please note these sections are still under construction so please come back and see what is being added)

You will notice that this lesson is very long and may take some time to get through, dont worry it is expected that you will learn more about these areas as you progress on your Path.

Your tasks for this lesson are:

to begin gathering data on each festival, and sacred day in your Book of Shadows and Grimoire (as appropriate)

to begin to follow the progress of the Sabbats and Esbats, to note how the seasons affect you and your surrounds, and to become more in touch with the seasonal shifting of the Wheel of the Year. There are many ways you may choose to do this and this will be our main discussion topic - How do you tune into the seasons - what activities do you perform to allow you to do so?

Blessings

Lady Ro.

April 11, 2011 at 8:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kelly Bray
Site Owner

Just as a suggestion on where you may choose to start with the wheel of the year - my first year as a student we were asked to created a sacred sabbat belt - this was created by each individual. I have included the instructions below:

• Step 1: have a basic understanding of each Sabbat and the appropriate correspondences.
  • Step 2: Purchase a length of cordage long enough to construct a 'belt' after placing 8 knots around the cord at even intervals.
  • Step 3: At each Sabbat (or you may choose to make all the of ouches then just do step 4 at each sabbat) craft a small pouch from felt or other natural material in an appropriate colour (you may choose to embroider or sew on something whcih is representative of that particular festival) and attach it to the knot that corresponds to it on your cord (your own personal 'wheel of the year").
  • Step 4: At each festival time try to find something from nature or from your ceremony, that represents that particular festival for YOU, add this small item to your pouch.
  • Step 5: continue to do this with each festival.
  • Step 6: the following year at each festival take out the item you have collected and 'gift it' to a Pagan friend or use as an offering on your Sabbat altar and choose a new item to add to the pouch,
  • Step 7: repeat each year.

Your Sabbat belt should be carefully stored (perhaps in a black velvet bag or similar) in between Sabbats and only worn for these particular festivals.

You can also choose to make a similar set of pouches and attach to a large sheet of fabric on your temple wall to make a 'Sabbat Calander'.

You could also make a similar belt to represent the various phases of the moon, for your Esbat belt.....

What other ideas can YOU come up with? Discuss them with the other students.

Blessings

Lady Ro.

April 11, 2011 at 8:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kelly Bray
Site Owner

Hi Guys just a quick message to let you know more pages have been added to Rites of Passage - a whole section on Pagan Funerary Rites....

BB

Lady Ro.

May 23, 2011 at 8:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Autumn Rain

To start i have taken notice to what i do in the fall months, winter months, spring months, and summer months, for the past few years my actions have been the same. In Oct i notice that i become more withdrawn from people causing me to question my friendships to see who is positive in my life and who is negative it is at this time i start cutting connections and asking for guidance to weed out the negative in my life. in the winter months around my birthday i go through a rebirth where i stay withdrawn to take in my reading studies and to do some personal growth spell work for myself. In the spring months i do some personal spring cleaning i also start to get out into nature at this time, i also notice the growth i have made in the past months, in the summer months i do spell work for my health so i don't have any flares ups or any other personal health issue i have.  Since i have started practicing the seasonal holidays and how i react are always the same and it makes me feel more rounded and balanced to know that i will act in a similar manner and that my goddess and gods know what is best and healthy for me.

June 30, 2011 at 2:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kelly Bray
Site Owner

Thankyou Ashley, you have shown that you can see how you havre begun to tune into the natural cycles, that balance is achieved through being in tune with the world around you...hankyou for sharing your insights  Remember to record this information in your BOS for later reference...

June 30, 2011 at 8:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Silver ArtemisOwl
I go with the energies of each moon cycle and season which helps me know which season and which phase the moon is in.
--
Many Blessings, ~Silver ArtemisOwl~
July 31, 2011 at 6:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kelly Bray
Site Owner

Thankyou for sharing Silver

August 1, 2011 at 1:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Daniel Vargas

I've decided I'll practice magic with the flow of the moon, meaning that when it's moving from dark to full its time for magick to increase things and from full to dark to decrease things. I have also decided that I'll pay atention and maybe celebrate in a creative way the 4 "big" Sabbats, maybe doing something significant for me, maybe practicing magic. The thing is that in my country there is no winter or fall or spring, it is like a little summer (no rain for 2 or 3 months which is colder sometimes than the rainy season) and a big rainy season (9 or 10 months of rain) but when its raining it also has sunny days and it always has sunny mornings and is hot! haha. So, that been said it would be kind of different to embrace some of the meaning of those seasons. Still as I said I'll follow the 4 more important Sabbats for a start. I can say that when its the sunny season is when I'm more productive, I feel adventurous, creative, enthusiastic (the possitive side of my Fire personality raises) and in the rainy season I feel little bit more humorless, grey (earth negative). I figure this out (not with this words) when I was a kid. I also have notice that the full moon intensify my water-negative emotions and behaviors and is when it's dark that I can make better use of my Air-positive personality.

March 10, 2012 at 10:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.