The Magickal Universe

Where Magick is a way of life!

Forums

Forum Home > Terra Sphere Prospective Students and Congregation > Lesson 9 - The Deities

Kelly Bray
Site Owner

Blessings Everyone

Well the last lesson covered a lot of material and will have taken some time to work through, this section also has a lot of material but also has some interesting exercises to work through. We are taking a closer look at the Deities.

What actually is a Goddess or God? Well thats a question that is often debated in religious and spiritual circles and I guess the answer is beyond human understanding - however this is MY interpretation and definition of Deity......

..........Deity or 'God' is a consciousness, and energy form which is the combined collection of memory, thought and action of every 'soul' in the universe.

This 'Universal Mind', is connected to each and every one of us, via  our 'spirit' a small part of the 'Godhead' - a divine spark that is containined within the physical form as the manifestation of a 'soul'. This Universal mind can manifest as Gods and Goddesses - or Avatars, or any other manner of Spiritual Beings to aid us (or hinder us) according to our thoughts, deeds and desires.

Before we are born we are a part of the Larger Divine Energy, when we choose to manifest in physical form a small spark of that larger 'over-soul'' or 'God Head' separates and becomes an independant, individual, thinking, feeling aspect of the Deity.

When we die, we shed the physical manifestation and the 'soul' returns to the Greater Consciousness and merges with it.

Once merged all thoughts, feelings, actions and experiences are absorbed by ALL the energy within the Godhead, and so every experience by every living thing becomes part of the experiences of the Godhead.

It is this universal connection to the Godhead that allows us to have what is termed 'paranormal' gifts (such as esp, mediumship etc), it is also what allows us via spellworking, to bend the universal energies to our will.Therefore creating our own conscious reality (I say conscious reality because we are always controlling and creating our reality it is just as Wytches we CHOOSE to consciously create ours, rather than just go along for the ride)

Your first task for this lesson is to try and write your OWN definition of Deity into your Records......be aware this definition WILL change as you progress through your studiesand experience the Gods for yourself. It is just that there is such a difference in HOW people percieve the Divine....here are a few examples

• Some people believe that there is only 1 God (no manifestations, no 'universal mind')
  • Some believe that there are two distinct Deities Goddess and God (to me these are simply twin manifestations (polar) of the energy)
  • Some believe that angelic beings are part of the divine manifestation , other believe they are separate...

It doesnt matter what you believe right now....but it is important to acknowledge what you believe as your own beliefs are the only things which can obstruct or control YOUR reality.

Ok once you have done that then we can move onto the next section which is understanding the manifestations of this universal Godhead according to the various Human Traditions - The Pantheons. Depending upon your Patron Deity you may or may not follow a specific Pantheon. However for this partof your learning process you are going to seek your Patron Deity but also choose a Pantheon to work with FOR NOW.....

To understand the various Pantheons I want you to read this section....The Pantheons, plus the various pages off this page.

As you will notice I have tried to include some information on each Deity on the Pantheons we have finished....

YOUR task is in two parts for this section

1. to read those Pantheons that have been presented - then choose a Pantheon which is NOT included in this list, follow the method which has been used on these pages and compile a list of Deities from a Pantheon - you can choose ANY pantheon you desire to research and compile information on - once you have done this you will email me your information. I will then add this information to the site so everyone can benefit from it, you will also place a copy in your Grimoire (you can copy and print the information on the website Pantheon section to add to your Grimoire as well if you choose) - I want to explain that yes I am getting you to add to the site, after all in a Cocven you would be expected to present your information to the Elders and as you are studying with me presenting your information here will allow you to share your learning. Secondly you help others such as yourself who are seekers, and lastly you will begin to find what draws you to specific pantheons....
  2. Read the section in Patheons on 'Discovering your Pantheon' and complete as per directions (on Pantheons Page)

Record all your findings into your Grimoire for later reference. This will be an ongoing research topic for you, because no matter how much you think you know about the Gods you work with you will always learn more, expecially once you starting working with them.

Your next task is working out who your Patron and Matron (although I tend to refer to both as Patrons) Deities are.... You will need to read this section: Patron Deities. and Follow the instructions there, again record everything in your Grimoire for later reference.

Ok this is quite a large section and one as I have explain is on going so I am not posting a discussion topic here, as I find the research of Deities often creates its own discussions, so feel free to post questions or interesting facts etc as part of your discussions.

BB

Lady Rohanna

May 2, 2011 at 8:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kelly Bray
Site Owner

I have posted this question on behalf of another student....

I did considered posting this question in the forum but I considered it may offend or confuse someone so I decided I'd rather ask you personally.

The question is regarding pantheons, there are litterally hundrends of them. In fact the "Dictionary of Ancient Deities" is already on it's way to my hands, though it may take a couple of weeks. Question is, the school states that one can worship any deity, is that correct?

I'm confused because there are so  many and some of theme are variations of older deities (such as Zeus and Iovis, for example), or others that just spawned out of thin air at some point in history.

So, basically, how do I know (this may sound extremely brute on my behalf, but great is my ignorance) which deities are "real"? I mean, could I worship a god/godess I just recently concived or created myself, or must be "classical" deity, are all of them real? Because some people concieved deities not long ago, people who worship Elvis (I know, stupid example, but some ancient gods began like that, a famous persona that died and was deified).

So, which "deity" may one actually be able to contact, or, are them all manifestations of the "real" ones? Pretty pretty confused here.

May 9, 2011 at 12:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kelly Bray
Site Owner

Thankyou for your consideration but I dont think you should worry about causing offense, I would prefer my students learned early on to accept that there is no 'one true way' and that differences of opinion should be encouraged..

Having said that I will try to answer your question....

Yes within my training you are 'allowed' to chooseany Deity to work with, However I would not consider dedicating to one unless you have been 'chosen' and they have made themselves apparent to you.

Ok the next part about many Deities being variations of other Deities, this is sort of true....as different tribes moved around and had contact with each other some of the deities were 'swapped', 'stolen' or 'merged' and new Deities were created.....or old ones gained more traits ....and as you have stated some people were deifiedat some point and were considered 'Gods'.............................

So to your actual question which Deities are 'real' Ifyou go back to this lesson (above) and re-read my own personal interpretation of God, this may help somewhat but basically ALL Deities are aspects or manifestations of the Universal energy, a God form.

Some people consider that God forms are only as powerful as the belief that drives them, if people believe in that particular God Form then the eneregy behind that manifestation is stronger, eg Yaweh would have a very strong God Form due to the amount of worshippers who are Christian.

Others believe that these Beings are individual beings with their own thoughts deeds, and energies....

All I can tell you all from my own experience is there is definately a masculine and a feminine energy (or God and Goddess) I have felt the power behind each of these nameless primordial beings (in fact it was this energy I worked with for much of my practice - the universal nameless masculine and feminine forms - that gave rise to the name Primordial Wytchecraft, for our Tradition).

I have also both seen and heard The Morrigan in person, when She called me, and often many times since. The Hunter is much more elusive, He doesnt communicate with me directly I usually gain insights via dreams or the animal world from Him.

You can 'worship' any Deity, although I dont think Elvis really 'cuts the mustard' so to speak, in regards to Deitification......lol

I guess ultimately it comes down to experience - the more you practice the closer you come to the spiritual planes and the more you are able to perceive....If you are too overwhelmed right now to even consider what a Deity means to you and how you may interact with them, then your best best isto stick with the Primordial 'Mother' and 'Hunter' archetypes until a particular Deity makes themselves known to you.....

I guess we know which ones are real because we interact with them....I mean Ceasar was considered a God in his time, yet I know of no Pagans who feel drawn to worship Him.....perhaps there is no call to him because he was not a 'real' Deity?

I would say any Deity which belonged to any of the Ancient Pantheons, are possabilities, There is so much contention even within the Pagan Community as to what consitutes a deity, which deities are 'valid' , whether Deities are all manifestations of a larger consciousness or separate consciousnesses in their own right.... I have given my opinions within the text for this lesson, I suggest you discuss this with some other Pagans, read and try to create devotions to Deities and record your own findings....This is one of those areas within theCraft where there are vast differences of opinion.....dependant upon tradition, path and personal belief....

Ultimately my opinion is that there is 1 universal consciousness, 2 poles (masculine/feminine) multiple archetypes and multiple manifestations of deity.

I know that doesnt directly answer your question but hopefully it will give you some food for thought.

btw...good question! :)

May 9, 2011 at 12:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

andymaranghello

Blessings,

I'm posting it here instead of emailing because maybe someone else has had this doubt, so here it goes:

It's regarding spiritual beings that are not actually "deities" per se. Such as the Enochian and the Goetia. I know the christian point of view on these, but I also know that Satan in jewish tradition is not a daemon but a son of God, his daemonic persona was introduced from the egyptian god Seth, during the early years of our common age.

That said, (I've read a lot of pagan traditions have dealing with this beings) I was wondering what they really are, and what relationship should we have with them, if any.

Blessings,

Andrew

May 14, 2011 at 10:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kelly Bray
Site Owner

Im not quite sure if I understand what your talking about, but I will make a few assumptions and answer from that and we can go from there...

So I am assuming that by spriritual beings other than deities, you are refering to other inhabitants of the Otherworlds, more specifically daemons (spirits) but even more specifically the one's portrayed as having 'negative intention' and have as suich been labelled as demons (evil spirits), devils or some other negative terminology.

Firstly we have a whole section in the lessons on looking at the Otherworlds (see lesson number 10) this will take you deeper into looking at the other inhabitants.....

Having said that I will touch on the historical apsects of your question - you refer to Satan being in fact an Angelic Being (a son of God), Lucifer another (and truer) name, in fact means Light Bringer.

Seth an Egyptian Deity is seen as 'negative being' by many but this is not entirely true.....as the brother of Osiris, Isis, and Nephthys, who is sometimes given as his consort, although Seth is more commonly associated with the foreign, Semitic goddesses Astarte and Anat. During the 3rd millenium BCE Seth replaced Horus as the tutelary deity of the pharaohs, (note replacement of one Deity with another) but the story of Osiris' murder gained currency (spiritual supporters of the God Horus, created, developed or adapted a story about one God murdering another to bring back their favoured God) and Horus was restored to his original status.

Stories say Seth was forced to return the eye of Horus and was either castrated or killed, but In other versions he went to live with the sun God Re (Ra), where he became the voice of thunder. (no longer was seen as same Deity - name change?)

In the Book of the Dead, Seth is called "Lord of the Northern Sky" and is held responsible for storms and cloudy weather, to many modern practitioners he is simply seen as The ancient Egyptian god of chaos, the embodiment of hostility and even of outright evil. But they do not look at the other aspects of him - Seth has some good characteristics. He protects the sun barge of Re during its nightly journey through the underworld and he fights the snake-like monster Apep

So if even a Deity who in its own cultural setting is seen as an 'evil one' yest still has good aspects, is there a real 'devil' a 100% baddy?

In my opnion ....no.....

Sure there are spirits who will take advantage of you and shouldnt be trusted with your magickal energies, in any way shape orform - they are not 'evil' but rather have characteristics which can be dangerous if not taken into account. Even the Gods were not all sugar and light.

Which brings me close to a rant....Paganism is not a sweet and light, airy fairy, all good and loving, and neither are our Gods!  There are those who would have you believe that we are all goody two shoes, who skip around with our heads in the clouds, loving everyone and everything, all beauty and light and loveliness....that our Gods are all loving and giving and our darlings....they are not....I have heard ppl say oh but the Goddess is loving and giving and beautiful....just like nature with its butterflies, birds, twinkling steams....

The truth is Paganism is gritty, it's real, its not all love and light and sweetness - it CAN have a very dark and dangerous side to it, just like our Goddess - sure she is a loving mothger, but as we all know - when our own children misbehave mothers punish their children, they can get mad - and so does She, She can be destructive - with lightening and thunder, with sand storms, and floods, with raging bush fires, andyears of drought....

As Pagans, we walk the lines between some of us closere to the darkness than others....Myself I am a Grey Wytche, not because I work magick to harm....but because I tend to deal with many of those who have walked through darkness, and survived....but then I would expect no less than that with the Morrigan as my Matron.....

It is up to each of us to find where we walk on the path, it is up to each of us to get to know, to understand, and to choose with whom we will interact. To find if we walk in the light or the shadows and for some few of us it will be the darkness.....

Back to your question....what are they?....they are a partof the larger picture....they are part of the universal divine....as is everything.....

What relationship should you have with them, well research every being before you have much interaction with it, you should know and understand what each beings place in the larger scheme of things is, then you can decide if you wish to interact with them or not.....I would go back as far as you can in thehistories of each being to understand it origins as much of the truth about any being will be there....

Hope that long response helps....or was I totally off track for what you were asking???

BB

Lady Rohanna

May 15, 2011 at 8:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

andymaranghello

Quite refreshing answear actually. I indeed want to do some research on these beings but was afraid of havoc (like somethings are best not even knowing about), again my ignorance showing off, but less every day hopefully :P

May 15, 2011 at 10:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kelly Bray
Site Owner

Dont get me wrong there are plenty of things that can cause havoc in Paganism especially in the Magickal side of it, but at least if you learn about things in an ordered fashion you have more chance of being able to handle anything that does crop up.

May 16, 2011 at 8:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

andymaranghello

My Lady, as you know I have a relationship with a Deitie, and I'm quite fond of her. I'm making a painting of Iov Patter, those two get along well, and he seems to be quite what I would expect from a male deity (god/goddess).

A question however, has arisen. There's a whole pantheon here. And Zeus'es wife, Hera, is very jealous. Most of them are. Must I worship the whole pantheon or can I worship only my chosen deities?

Thanks, Andrew

June 7, 2011 at 7:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

andymaranghello

I mean I don't want to make Iuno angry at me for worshipping her husband next to Hecate... :/

June 7, 2011 at 7:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kelly Bray
Site Owner

Ok, again there will be disagreements in what I say (but I would expect no less), in my opinion if you are worshipping A Deity then sooner or lateryou will interact withthe rest of the pantheon....I believe if you findyourself drawn to one pantheon over another (as in are drawn to more than one diety from that pantheon) then I would suggest you at least make a point of acknowledging the rest of the pantheon...

Having said that there are many electics who combine varius deities from various pantheon in a conglomeration of beings...(personally that feels wrong to me but if it works for them....)

I think this is simply one of those things you need to decide for yourself.... I work mostly with The Morrigan but I acknowledge the rest of the Deities, I just don't feel drawn to them the same way, She has claimed me as Her own.  Having said that if I wanted to work with a Masclunine influence I would possibly use one of the Gods from thois pantheon over say one from the egyptian pantheon....

June 8, 2011 at 8:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

andymaranghello

I understand. I started working on the painting today, there was some weird energy all day today. Sense of anger or doing things wrong, and I did a lot of mistakes today. In fact Zeus'es face doesn't look like I intended, looks more like Hades. (like more evil, I was thinking of remaking his face tomorrow).

I really don't know if this is just psicological or what but today I had a strong feeling of discord the whole day (like very weird, not normal kind). I'm wondering if it's Hecate informing me that I'm to worship her and her alone, or something else... If that's the case I'm tossing the painting of Zeus right away, and all thoughts of polyteism with it lol, but then again it maybe just me... so I'd better ask you.

My lady I posted a question regarding elementals yesterday, but I posted it where we introduce ourselves, because the elemental page won't let me post anything. I can't find it know, please let me know and I'll more than gladly post it again elsewhere. 

Thanks, Andrew

June 8, 2011 at 11:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kelly Bray
Site Owner

ok firstly you posted your question in the history section which is why you can find it (oh and btw in future if you dont know where to post something just post it in the general discussion section of the forum)

I would record how you are feeling and note anything particular that comes up, then looking back in a day or so it may becomeclearer why you were feeling this way....

It could be any number of causes so it is one of the reasons we keep such detailed records, that way you can look into this and the next time it happens you will be more aware of what may be causing it....

and so you learn more about how YOU operate as a spiritual being ;)

June 9, 2011 at 2:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

andymaranghello

Yes, it wasn't her... lol

So frustrating not being able to hear the spirit world yet (not always anyway :)), makes it hard to dicern this kind of things. Everything back to how it used to be now.

June 9, 2011 at 10:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

andymaranghello

Hi my Lady,

I have a general question about the deities. Since we have talked about life after death and reencarnation, I was wondering what are the roles of the deities that traditionally are associeted with death or the underworld, such as Hades or Anubis. (I mean, like the soul goes to which god, for example)

Andrew

June 11, 2011 at 1:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kelly Bray
Site Owner

Blessings Andrew, Im not sure what your asking, Can you try to rephrase that?

June 14, 2011 at 8:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

andymaranghello

lol I'm sorry, it's my english...

For example, there are gods/goddesses associated with crop fertility, say it's their jurisdiction.
They govern (for example) how well will the crops grow, and the harvest they will yield.

But what happens with gods/goddesses associated with Death? Or with the judging of the dead?
Such as Hades or Anubis, how do they interact with the souls of the diseased, and who is the one that
judges them (if there's judging at all), and who does it (For Example Hades OR Anubis, I know there are many more).

Hope it's clearer now, sorry!!! :D

June 14, 2011 at 10:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kelly Bray
Site Owner

Ok well in my personal experiences with The Morrigan and being close to death last year, I found She spent much time watching over me, and I often felt not that I was being judged persay, but rather that my desire to live or die and my belief in Her was what made the difference.

There are many different aspect of death, natural death, accidental death, suicide and all of these aspect have various deities that perform specific tasks... remembering what I explain to you about the various Deities being an aspect (avatar) of a Universal energy, the tasks would be to whichever Deity in a particular pantheon had that role...

Anubis for example was a ptotector of the souls of the dead, Anubis also monitored the Scales of Truth to protect the dead from deception and eternal death. He was later supplanted by Osiris as God of the Dead. 

Another example was Hades who despite modern connotations of death as evil, Hades was actually more altruistically inclined in mythology. Hades was often portrayed as passive rather than evil; his role was often maintaining relative balance. Hades ruled the dead, assisted by others over whom he had complete authority. He strictly forbade his subjects to leave his domain and would become quite enraged when anyone tried to leave, or if someone tried to steal the souls from his realm. His wrath was equally terrible for anyone who tried to cheat death or otherwise crossed him.

so as you can see they are similar in their role yet quite different in the manner by which they carried it out.  If you wish to know more about how a particular deity interacts with humanity or their role in the scheme of things it is important to undertand the following

1. the culture in which the pantheon is connected (eg how the people who worshipped them lived)

2. The role in the culture and how it was percieved by those who lived it

3. The mytholgy and interactions ebtween the various deities of that pantheon

As your studies progress you will gain a greater insight into the various Deities and how their interaction with humans (and with yourself) determines in part how they are percieved in the context of their cultural setting. .

June 18, 2011 at 4:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.