We can turn ordinary ingredients into fabulous meals using wooden spoons and spatulas as our wands. We perform simple alchemy by changing base ingredients into glorious meals.
All good cooks know they are magicians in the kitchen, but for Pagans this daily task is as important as casting spells in the sacred circle.
Food sustains and nourishes our physical temple, plays an important part in our social lives, and does so much more than simply comfort us when we are feeling unhappy or tired.
When we create our foods, we can slap together a meals or we can take the time to make it a sacred and magickal task. When we feed someone else (or even just ourselves) we are giving them sacred gifts, the fruits provided by our Mother Earth, the gifts of sacrifice of our Mother's creatures, the time and effort of our preparations, the love that creates each dish, all of these things already make cooking a sacred event, but we can add further magickal elements into our preparation and creation of our foods.
To begin making magick in the kitchen means following some basic steps, of course your own traditions may give you directions for this, this is being presented as a guideline for those to whom this is a new process.
- Consider the foods you purchase, Do you wish to be serving up eggs that contain the sadness and misery of caged hens or would you prefer to serve up the freedom and joy of a hen allowed to have free range of a farm? Do you want to drink coffee that has come from a farm, where the workers are paid tuppance, or would you prefer to serve up free trade coffee which ensures the worker have been treated with respect and paid a fair wage? Think about what causes (positive or negative) you are adding to when you buy your goods - where possible; buy organic foods that decrease the chemicals going into both your body and the body of our Mother and from a farmer's market where they are fresh, still carrying the energies of Mother Nature and where you are supporting your local community. Buy ethical meats, preferably free range, chemical free, ethically slaughtered meats (if you choose to eat meat at all), With products that are imported try to ensure you purchase only products that are produced in a manner that honours the local community from which it is harvested, and of course buy foods that are frsh, not produced packaged foods wherever possible.
- Before beginning to prepare even the simplest of meals take a short time to clear any negativity from your own mind and body, (you do not wish to put the bad energy from the office into your food), and from the surrounding area.
- Wash your hands and visualise any bad energy flowing with the water and down the drain (along with any dirt and germs).
- Take a few deep breaths and ground and centre yourself.
- Gather your ingredients, before you create a meal consider the ingredients you are putting together, what are the magickal properties of each ingredient, how will these ingredients blend together and what magickal energy will the resulting food contain. You may choose to adapt your meals to create a more harmoinious combination.
- Before beginning any preparation spend a few moments acknowledging the origins of the food in front of you. Preparing food should reflect it's sacred nature – treating each ingredient with respect, considering it's origins, and thanking the animals and plants from which it was obtained. You should also thank those who have brought it to you to prepare, the farmers, the harvesters, the process workers, the warhouse operators, the store and even the person who did the shopping, all for their individual parts in bringing it to your preparation bench. Taking time to honour each of these elements ensures that any negative energy associated with the food is banished, and that the preparation is done with all the honour and care in which it is due.
- Send positive and healthy energy into the food and the utensils which you will use to prepare it.
- If you are preparing food for a special occasion or to create a specific outcome you may wish to ask spirits to aid you in this task.
- Stir your food in the direction for which you energies are intending it to be empowered with, stir widdershin to banish, undo, remove and deosil to empower, add, and bless your foods. This will of course depend on your intent.
- Say a food blessing at the table once the meal has been served.